The Center for Superheroes is the only mental health center in West Texas or Eastern New Mexico (our catchment area is 300 miles in any radius with Lubbock as the central point of reference) designed to provide comprehensive medical, mental health, behavioral health and developmental services for victims of childhood trauma and their families. Center for Superheroes is one of only a handful of places in the nation who provide services such as this. We also train professionals from a variety of systems (health care, therapists, the courts, law enforcement, child protective services, educators, and foster parents) in trauma informed care. The Center is a multidisciplinary approach to treating and reducing the recurrence and long term impact of child trauma.
The Center for Super Heroes provides evidence based, scientifically supported treatments for the effects of child trauma such as Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT); Treatment of Problematic Sexual Behaviors (PSB) ages 3 to 18; treatment for physically abusive or neglectful caregivers such as Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT); and treatment of other related conditions (e.g., Behavioral Activation for Depression). All treatments have extensive empirical, scientific support for their efficacy and effectiveness. For example, TF-CBT has 20 Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) and over 50 peer-reviewed studies demonstrating effectiveness. As multiple studies have demonstrated that those who work with trauma populations can be adversely impacted by this work, our approach entails addressing vicarious trauma effects and impairment for providers from multiple disciplines through the Trauma Stewardship protocol.
To summarize, Center for Superheroes provides the following services, which are NOT provided anywhere in our catchment area (300 mile radius) and no mental health center in the state of Texas provides all the services we provide in the same site. We are also a designated Center for Excellence in the State of Texas. The following services are provided at our Center but are not an exhaustive list:
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for PTSD in children 3 to 18
- Treatment of Problematic Sexual Behaviors for children 3 to 18
- Evidence Based Parent Management Training (PMT) protocols to reduce child and adolescent disruptive behaviors
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT)
- Helping the Noncompliant Child (HNC)
- Kazdin’s Model
- Russell Barkley’s Defiant Child (DC) and Defiant Teen (DT) protocols
- Seeking Safety for Dual Diagnosis (PTSD and co-occurring Substance Abuse)
- Behavioral Activation for Depression
- Motivational Interviewing for Treatment Maintenance
- Evidence Based Assessment of Traumatized Children
- Evidenced Based Assessment of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Developmental Disabilities in Traumatized Children
Our services are primarily for children who are victims of trauma. Our primary patient population (over 80%) is constituted of foster children and their caregivers. Our treatments are evidence based and we operate under the Evidence Based Practices in Psychology (EBPP) framework. We are a National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) Affiliate site and operate under the philosophy and vision of the NCTSN.